1. Dwyer Legal Knowledge Base
  2. Entry Visas
  3. Schengen C-Visa for business and private trips

For which time frame can a business visa be obtained and how many entries does it allow?

Depending on the holder’s purpose of the travel, business visas can be obtained in a form of a single-entry visa, a double-entry visa and multiple-entry visa. The validity period of visas can be defined by the Consulate.

When issuing a C-Visa for business or private purposes, one of the following entry options will be defined by the Consulate:

Single-entry visa:

A single-entry visa allows its holder to enter the Schengen Area only once, within the given period of time, as mentioned in the visa sticker affixed to his or her passport. Once the visa holder exits the Schengen territory, he or she can no longer go back, even if they have not spent there the number of days as permitted by the Embassy which issued them the visa.

Some people confuse the single-entry visa, thinking that it is about the number of countries the visa holder is permitted to visit, and that it allows them to enter one single country. In fact, the territory you are permitted to visit is given close to the “Valid for” tag in your visa sticker, whereas the time you are permitted to stay is given close to the “Number of entries” tag.

Double-entry visa:

In general, a double-entry visa applies the same way as the single-entry visa explained above. The sole difference between a single-entry and a double-entry visa is that the second gives you the chance to go once more back to the Schengen territory once you have left it.

You should be very careful not to exceed the number of days you are permitted to stay in the Schengen Zone, as well as the period within which you can spend these days in the EU. Once again, do not mix the “double-entry” tag with the number of countries you are permitted to enter and remain within the given frame time.

With this visa, when you leave the Schengen Area for the second time, you no longer have the right to go back, even if you have not spent all the days you were permitted to remain there. However, if you have obtained a double-entry visa more than once, and you are a frequent traveler to the Schengen zone, you are more likely to be granted with a multiple-entry visa, as explained below.

Multiple-entry visa:

A multiple-entry visa allows its holder to go in and out of the Schengen Area as many times as he or she wants, as soon as they do not violate the 90/180 day rule.

Depending on the business situation and requirements, the applicant can request to issue the C-Visa not only for the duration of his first trip but also as

  • a 1 year multiple-entry visa;
  • a 3 year multiple-entry visa;
  • a 5 year multiple-entry visa.

1 year multiple-entry Schengen visa:

You can obtain this visa if you have been traveling to the Schengen Area more often, and you have also been in possession of at least one Schengen double-entry visa. When you apply for this visa, you will need to show proof that you are a regular traveller, as well as why you need this visa in the future.

The 1-year MEV visa gives you the right to enter the Schengen Zone as many times as you want, as long as you do not remain more than 90 days within this period.

3 year multiple-entry Schengen visa:

The 3-year MEV gives the right to its holder to enter the Schengen Area as many times as they wish within a period of three years. However, even in this case the visa holder is limited to remaining in the EU no longer than 90 days within a 180-day period.

When you apply for a 3-year MEV you will have to present evidence that you are a frequent traveller to at least one of the countries of the Schengen. You will also have to explain and prove why you need a visa with a validity of three years.

5 year multiple-entry Schengen visa:

5-year MEV is granted to people that travel a lot to the Schengen Zone, especially for business. This visa permits you to enter 26 Countries in Europe as many times as you wish, within five years, as soon as you do not violate the 90/180 days rule.

You will need to show very strong proof that you travel frequently to any of these Countries and give the reason for which you travel. Moreover, you will need to show evidence why a visa with a validity of 5 years is necessary for you.


Please do not hesitate to contact us, if you need additional information or support with processing business visa for Germany:

Dwyer Legal Law Firm, Schwanthalerstr. 13, Aufgang IV, 80336 Munich
Tel: +49 (0)89 24 88 14 310, www.dwyer-legal.com

Note: Information provided in this Knowledge Database is for orientation only and not binding.